Pages


1/15/18

God's Word

While trying to clean and organize my art studio I came across some holy cards I had purchased a while back. I have an ever growing stash of these little beauties. Little mass cards, prayer cards, cards with pictures of Saints.... yep, I love them all... I am ALWAYS on the hunt for more!
Before tucking my treasures into a drawer where I keep my collection, I decided to create a little something-something for a friend of mine whose sister died due to a hit and run. My friend's sister was walking to a nearby store to grab a gallon of milk for her young son and was struck and left to die in the roadway.....  What can be said? no words are ever adequate-- but God is universal in his words.... so I created a little Religious wall hanging to hopefully give her some solace during this painful time. Here it is in all its glory~To create this piece I used one of those plain cardboard circular ornament blanks that you get from a hobby store for the base. I fussy cut out the center and added a thin piece of cardboard to seal off the opening leaving a little well to create inside of.
I covered the cardboard with thin gold paper that I ran through my embossing machine to give the little shrine some added texture. The gold was extremely bright, so I added some black paint to distress it a little bit. I made the sunburst crown behind the image of Jesus using of all things-- the little topper that is on top of a Christmas ornament. I had bought a huge bag of ornament topper replacement pieces for a few dollars at a second hand store months ago...  just goes to show you I'll buy just about anything. *wink* Easily flattened with my bare hands and then a few whacks with a small hammer and I had the perfect sunburst crown.
 Here you can better see the depth of the little shrine.... I added moss, vintage flowers, vintage Dresden trim and of course some rhinestone pieces. The purple fabric I used is iridescent fabric which turns from purple to a moss green at different angles. Above you can see the purple, and below you can see the green hue showing up... magical.
The blue tinsel around the shrine I had bought at Christmas time not knowing what I would ever use it for.....
 I really like how it all came together, I think I'll continue making more of these. I know a lot of people who could use a little Holy Shrine themselves....
myself included.
 big hugs,
Cheryl

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I have never seen a blonde depiction of Jesus before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I still have every Holy Card I ever received since I was a child. They were first kept in my First Communion Book and then after I married, in our Bible. Your tiny shrine will surely bring comfort to your friend.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea. And very beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a creative idea and I am sure your friend will be ever so touched by it. Such a terrible tragedy, always good to have a reminder that God is there at all times to get us through everything that happens in life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's sister, This is a very thoughtful and beautiful gift and I'm sure that it will comfort your friend and she will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a horrible person to hit somebody and drive off like they did nothing at all. Don't you worry, they will have to atone for that one.

    Your friend, will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!
Chaste hugs & air kisses!
~Cheryl