Pages


8/30/10

Ruffle tutorial

While recently making a bazillion yards of ruffles I came across an easier new and improved way of making them. No more pulling threads to gather the fabric into ruffles....Easy-peasy ruffles! Easy-peasy-FAST ruffles!Firstly, start off with long strips of fabric. I've torn my fabric in long lengths at 2 inch intervals. I pulled off all the extra strings and rolled them up for easier use. I like the worn/shabby look so I left both ends frayed. I set my tension thread at the highest number which causes the bobbin thread to be super loose. Now... here is the trick. With your right hand, grab the thread as it comes right off the spool, your wanting to keep it taut as it gets pulled into the machine to sew. After only about an inch of sewing you'll see the fabric start to ruffle instantly. Keep ahold of the thread at a consistant "pull" while you sew the length of your fabric. No more pulling threads to gather the fabric into a ruffle, once you've stitched the fabric-- its turned into a ruffle! You could even backstitch at the beginning and end of each ruffle strip for added strength. I've attached rows of ruffles to a long piece of fabric...which I then stitched to a lovely white embroidered square that I have sitting on top of one of two matching coffee tables. (covered in plastic due to the 3 cats I have who sit and dirty up everything!) Here is the before....
Here is the after... isn't is so darn caute? Just gives it a nice finished look.Now, I've just got to make more ruffles to finish up the other matching white embroidered tablecloth for the other coffee table. Easy-peasy-ruffles...
I've linked to The Trendy Treehouse~

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl, this is fantastic! I will definitely be trying this! Thank you so much!!!

    Hugs!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I am hosting a 50 dollar CSN Giveaway on my blog. I would love for you to stop by.Thanks Anu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...looks so pretty!!
    Thanks for making my ruffle life way easier...I'm off to ruffle now!
    Happy Saturday xOxO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!
Chaste hugs & air kisses!
~Cheryl