I used hot glue to add a small wooden dowel to the back of each fairy to be used to stick into each cupcake. If you roll the tiny dowel in the glue as you set it into place, you won't run the risk of the stick coming off. I then made a paper hat using vintage pages from an old book, attached a small piece of feather and a little bling to the hat and taaaaaaaaa daaaaaaaaa a little baby birthday fairy fit for sitting atop a cupcake! Easy-peasy.... I made chocolate cupcakes with raspberry filling then frosted them with Amaretto Frosting. You can find the recipe I used here. I made chocolate nests for the top of each cupcake... I used two cans of chow mein noodles which I stirred into one 12 ounce bag of melted chocolate chips. The secret is to use a knife to lift and coat the noodles-- do not stir them as you will break them and you want them to look like sticks.
Baby fairy cupcake pokes~
I had made these little cupcake pokes using an old-old photo of a little boy. (70 years old to be exact) I'm just now getting around to blogging about them. Where does the time go? The photo wasn't the best... the baby looks kinda bow-legged in this photo... I tried my best to get a better photo, but you have to work with what you get sometimes. A good lesson in "making-do"...something of which I am sooooooooo needing practice with. So its all good :-PI normally would have the image made into an actual photo and use that to make copies from to get a better quality result...but I figured these would all end up in the trash, so I skipped this step. I used my printer and printed the images onto cardstock- 9 to a page. I hand tinted each photo using chalk. I cut out each baby image and placed them on a new sheet. (You don't really need to do this step...but I love to cut)I then took the images to a local copy center and had them print them onto a 10 pound high gloss paper, which when copied onto this paper is very similar to the look of an actual photograph. The cost for an 8 x 11 sheet is $1.25 per sheet. I then used spray adhesive on the back of each sheet and placed a page of sheet music on the back. Then I cut out each image. (I lurve to cut!) I printed out some butterfly wings onto a transparency and cut those out and glued a set of wings behind each baby.